Ravi Kumar Pujala
Department of Physics, IISER Tirupati
Phone: +91-877-2500-942Group Webpage
Soft Matter Physics, Active Matter, Self-Assembly, Rheology, Nanomaterials and Composites.
Educational and professional career:
- Assistant Professor (December, 2018 ~): Indian Institute of Science Education and Research (IISER), Tirupati, India.
- DST INSPIRE Faculty (August 2017 – December 2018): School of Physics, University of Hyderabad, India.
- Researcher (Onderzoeker 4, February 2016 – July 2017): Department of Physics, Utrecht University, The Netherlands (Advisor: Prof. Alfons van Blaaderen)
- Postdoctoral Researcher (December 2014 - September 2015): IESL-FORTH/University of Crete, Greece (Advisor: Prof. George Petekidis)
- Ph.D (March 2014): School of Physical Sciences, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, India. (Advisor: Prof. H. B. Bohidar)
Theme of Research:
Studying physics of soft matter systems both passive and active systems; Fabricate new mesostructured materials by self-assembly. The ultimate goal is to develop new functional soft materials with reconfigurable structures at the nano and meso-scales.
Honours and Awards:
- Review Editor for Frontiers in Soft Matter.
- SERB Core Research Grant, Govt. of India (2022).
- SERB Core Research Grant, Govt. of India (2021).
- Visiting Professor, CNRS, France (2020).
- DST-INSPIRE Faculty Award, Govt. of India (February 2017).
- Marie Sklodowska-Curie Actions Seal of Excellence by European Commission (2017).
- Springer Thesis International Award in Physics (The “best of the best”)(2014).
- Kumbam Lingeshwar Reddy, Jikson P Mathew, Sonia Maniappan, Catherine Tom, Elizabeth Shiby, Ravi Kumar Pujala Ravi Kumar Pujala, and Jatish Kumar. Mandelic Acid Appended Chiral Gels as Efficient Templates for Multicolour Circularly Polarized Luminescence. Nanoscale (2022).
- Catherine Tom, Venkata M S Ganesh Tanuku, Erwan Paineau, and Ravi Kumar Pujala*. Binary Mixtures of Colloidal Cellulose Nanocrystals and Laponite for Preparation of Functional Nanocomposites. ACS Applied Nano Materials 4,8586 (2021).
- Devika V S, Ravi Kumar Pujala, and Surajit Dhara. Orientation Dependent Interaction and Self-assembly of Cubic Magnetic Colloids in a Nematic Liquid Crystal. Advanced Optical Materials 1901585 (2020). This article appears in: Hot Topic: Magnetic Materials.
- Ravi Kumar Pujala* and H.B.Bohidar. Hierarchical Self-assembly, Spongy Architecture, Liquid Crystalline Behaviour and Phase Diagram of Laponite Nanoplatelets in Alcohol-Water Binary Solvents. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science 554, 731 (2019). (* Corresponding author)
- Fabian Hagemans||, Ravi Kumar Pujala||, Danisha S. Hotie, Dominique M. E. Thies-Weesie, D. A. Matthijs de Winter, Johannes D. Meeldijk, Alfons van Blaaderen, and Arnout Imhof. Shaping Silica Rods by Tuning Hydrolysis and Condensation of Silica Precursors. Chemistry of Materials 31, 521 (2019). (|| Co-first author).
- Muhammed Rasi M, Ravi Kumar Pujala, and Surajit Dhara. Colloidal analogues of polymer chains, ribbons and 2D crystals employing orientations and interactions of nano-rods dispersed in a nematic liquid crystal. Scientific Reports 9, 4652 (2019).
- Ravi Kumar Pujala*, C.T.W.M. Schneijdenberg, Alfons van Blaaderen and H. B. Bohidar. In-situ Observation of Hierarchical Self-Assembly Driven by Bicontinuous Gelation in Mixed Nanodisc Dispersions. Scientific Reports 8, 5589 (2018). (* Corresponding author) (Ranked in TOP 100 Sientific Reports papers in 2018)
- Ravi Kumar Pujala*, M Praveen Kumar and Surajit Dhara. Hierarchical self-assembly of colloidal nanoplatelets driven by evaporation (Invited Article: Special Issue on Driven Colloids). Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics 51 304003 (2018). (* Co-corresponding author)
- Ravi Kumar Pujala and H. B. Bohidar. Ergodicity breaking and aging dynamics in Laponite- Montmorillonite mixed clay dispersions. Soft Matter 8, 6120 (2013).
- Ravi Kumar Pujala, Nisha Pawar and H. B. Bohidar. Universal sol state behaviour and gelation kinetics in mixed clay dispersions. Langmuir 27, 5193 (2011).
- Ravi Kumar Pujala, Dispersion Stability, Microstructure and Phase Transition of Anisotropic Nanodiscs, Springer Thesis, 2014. ISBN: 978-3-319-04554-2.
- Compflu 2020, Dec 10-12, 2020, IIT Bombay.
- Soft Matter: Young Investigators Meet (SMYIM) May 12-14, 2019, Shillong, India.
- Compflu 2017, Dec 17-20, 2017, IIT Madras.
- 4th International Soft Matter Conference, 12 - 16 Sep 2016, Grenoble, France.
- Softcomp annual meeting, 2015 June 09-12, Ancona, Italy.
- PHY 211: Foundations of Physics III: Electricity & Magnetism
- PHY212: Lab II: Electricity, Magnetism and Optics
- PHY521: Soft Matter Physics
- Project Assistant/Fellow: http://www.iisertirupati.ac.in/job-faculty/pa-pf/
- PhD: Soft and Active Matter
- Postdoc: http://www.iisertirupati.ac.in/job-faculty/pdrf/
Name of the project: Shape-directed dynamics of active colloidsDescription: The project will involve fabrication and study of shape-directed dynamics of self-propelled colloids. The aim is to study the collective behaviour (active matter) of model swimmers in fluids.
For more information, visit http://www.iisertirupati.ac.in/people/faculty/ravikumar.phpLast Date for application: 5.00 P.M. on 07 th April, 2019
Closing date of Online Application : April 30, 2019
Soft and Active MatterLast Date for application: April 10, 2019.