ADMISSION TO INTEGRATED PHD (i-PhD) PROGRAM AUGUST 2018
The integrated Ph.D. (i-Ph.D.) programme at IISER Tirupati is aimed for highly motivated students who wish to pursue a career in research. Students with an excellent academic record can apply for the i-Ph.D. programme upon completion of a bachelor's degree in any branch of science. The course combines curricula for master's and doctorate degrees into a single integrated programme with a blend of course work and research projects.
IISER Tirupati offers modern research laboratories and computational facilities as well as hostel facilities for students. Students will also have the opportunity to participate in a broad range of seminars, meetings and workshops, giving them a chance to interact with people from other research organizations within the country and abroad.Important Dates:
Opening date of Online Application : February 17, 2018
Closing date of Online Application : April 15, 2018
Interview Dates (Tentative) : June 1, 2018 to June 6, 2018
Overview of the i-Ph.D. programme
IISER Tirupati offers Integrated Ph.D. (i-Ph.D.) as a research programme with a blend of course work (2 years) and research projects. On successful completion of the doctoral research project, students are awarded a degree in Master of Science and a Ph.D. degree. The first four semesters consist of core courses, elective courses and advanced courses specializing in one subject, and combined with research work. On successful completion of course work, related project work and a comprehensive exam, the student continues with the research leading to a Ph.D.
The i-Ph.D. program is to be offered from August 2018 in the Biological, Chemical, Mathematical and Physical Sciences.Eligibility Criteria: 1. Students with minimum 60% marks in aggregate (overall percentage with all subjects) or CGPA 6 out of 10-point scale in B.Sc./B.Tech/B.E. or any equivalent degree. 2. In addition to the above, students must have qualified any of the national level exams listed in the following table for the respective departments.
|Biology||JGEEBILS - 2017 or JAM -2018 (BL - Biological Sciences or BT - Biotechnology)|
|Chemistry||JAM (Chemistry) 2018|
|Mathematics||JAM 2018 (MA - Mathematics or MS-Mathematical Statistics) or Valid NBHM MA/MSc Scholarship|
|Physics||JAM (Physics) 2018 or JEST (Physics) 2018|
- The candidate MUST have qualified at least ONE of the above mentioned Additional eligibility criteria.
- The scores/ranks must be valid at least till August, 2018. Please note that the admission criteria can change during the next round of admission.
- SC/ST, PD and KM candidates Percentage may be relaxed with 5% or 0.5 in case of CGPA.
- Candidates in the final year of their qualifying degree are also eligible to apply. However, their final selection is subject to their successful completion of the qualifying degree with the above-mentioned requirements at the time of admission. A provisional degree certificate is mandatory at the time of admission (Scheduled to be 1st August 2018).
Only online applications will be accepted. Applicants can submit their forms for the respective departments using the following links:
The candidates must carefully fill and submit the online application form on or before April 15, 2018. Only short-listed candidates will be intimated further about the date of interview. Candidates belonging to reserved category will have to submit relevant certificates, if selected.Selection Procedure: The shortlisted candidates will be called for interview and final selection is based on interview performance. The respective departments may use additional criteria (based on academic performance and/or performance in the national level tests) in order to shortlist candidates for interviews. Fellowship: Financial assistance will be provided by the institute to the selected candidates. Please Note: All communication with candidates will be through emails only. Kindly check this website for periodic updates.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
- I am in my first year of the Master's degree, am I eligible to apply for the i-PhD program?
Yes, you are eligible.
- Can I apply for i-PhD in more than one discipline?
If you meet the eligibility criteria for more than one discipline, you can apply for both the disciplines by filing their respective application forms.
- What is the fellowship structure?
Institute will provide decent fellowship to an i-PhD student during the first two years, after which they will be receive a higher fellowship at par with a regular PhD student.
- Will I be paid for my travel expenses for attending the i-PhD written test/interview?
Institute will NOT be able to reimburse for your travel tickets.
- Is it possible to leave the programme after MS?
There is no exit option after MS.
- Will I get an MS degree? If yes, how many years after joining the programme?
The MS degree will be provided together with the PhD degree, however it will carry a date same as the date of passing the comprehensive examination, which is usually conducted before registering for a PhD.
- How long does it take to complete the degree?
Usually, it takes around six years to get a PhD degree in this program.
- If I am selected in one department, am I allowed to choose research supervisor/mentor from other departments? Is it possible to pursue research with multiple supervisor/mentor?
You may be allowed to pursue research with multiple faculty and faculty from other departments, provided your primary supervisor/mentor is affiliated to your parent department.