ADMISSION TO INTEGRATED PhD (I-PhD) PROGRAM AUGUST 2020
The integrated Ph.D. (I-Ph.D.) programme at IISER Tirupati is for highly motivated students, who wish to pursue a career in research. Students with an excellent academic record can apply for the I-Ph.D. programme upon completion of Bachelor’s degree in any branch of science. The course combines curricula for Master’s and Doctorate degrees into a single integrated programme with a blend of course work and research project.
IISER Tirupati offers modern research laboratories and computational facilities as well as hostel facilities for students. Students will also have the opportunity to participate in a broad range of seminars, meetings and workshops, giving them a chance to interact with researchers and experts from other research organizations within the country and abroad.Important Dates:
Opening date of Online Application : March 11, 2020
Closing date of Online Application
“Application portals were closed on 15th May 2020.
The list of candidates shortlisted for the interview is expected to be announced by the 3rd week of June.”
Overview of the i-Ph.D. programme
IISER Tirupati offers Integrated Ph.D. (I-Ph.D.) as a research programme with a blend of course work and research. On successful completion of the doctoral research project, students are awarded a degree in Master of Science and a Ph.D. degree. The first three semesters consist of core courses, elective courses and advanced courses specializing in one subject and is combined with research work. On successful completion of the course work, related project work and a comprehensive exam, the student continues with the research leading to a Ph.D.
The I-Ph.D. program is offered in the disciplines Biological, Chemical, Mathematical and Physical Sciences in August 2020 session.ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA FOR VARIOUS DEPARTMENTS:
|Discipline||Eligibility Criteria||Additianal Eligibility Criteria|
|Biology||Students with minimum 60% marks in aggregate (overall percentage with all subjects) or CGPA 6.5 on 10-point scale in Bachelor's in Biological Sciences (All areas) /Ecological Sciences/ Mathematics/ Chemistry /Physics / Medical Sciences / Engineering or any equivalent degree.||JGEEBILS (conducted in Dec 2019) or JAM -2020 (BL - Biological Sciences or BT - Biotechnology)|
|Chemistry||Students with minimum 60% marks in aggregate (overall percentage with all subjects) or CGPA 6.5 on a 10-point scale in B. Sc. (General / B.Sc. majoring in Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics & Biology), Engineering (BE/BTech) or any equivalent degree.||JAM (Chemistry) 2020|
|Mathematics||Students with minimum 60% marks in aggregate (overall percentage with all subjects) or a CGPA 6.5 on a10-point scale in B.Sc. or any equivalent degree.||JAM 2020 (MA - Mathematics or MS-Mathematical Statistics) or Valid NBHM MA/MSc Scholarship|
|Physics||Students with Minimum 60% marks in aggregate (overall percentage with all subjects) or CGPA 6.5 on a 10-point scale in B.Sc./B.Tech/B.E. or any equivalent degree.||JAM (Physics) 2020 or JEST (Physics) 2020|
- The candidate MUST have qualified at least ONE of the above mentioned Additional eligibility criteria.
- The scores/ranks must be valid at least till August, 2020. Please note that the admission criteria can change during the next round of admission.
- SC/ST, PD and KM candidates Percentage may be relaxed with 5% or 0.5 in case of CGPA.
- Candidates in the final year of their qualifying degree are also eligible to apply. However, their final selection is subject to their successful completion of the qualifying degree with the above-mentioned requirements at the time of admission. A provisional degree certificate is mandatory at the time of admission (tentatively Scheduled to be 1st August 2020).
Only online applications will be accepted. Applicants can submit their forms for the respective departments using the following links:
The candidates must carefully fill and submit the online application form. For Biology, the deadline for online application is April 15, 2020. For all other disciplines the application deadline is April 30, 2020. .
Only short-listed candidates will be intimated further about the date of interview. Candidates belonging to reserved category will have to submit relevant certificates, if selected.
The shortlisted candidates will be called for written test/interview and final selection is based on interview performance. The respective departments may use additional criteria (based on academic performance and/or performance in the national level tests) in order to shortlist candidates for interviews.
TA/DA will be provided to the SC/ST/PD students appearing for the interview as per institute norms.Fellowship:
Financial assistance will be provided by the institute to the selected candidates as per institute norms.
All communication with candidates will be through emails only. Kindly check this website for periodic updates.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
- I am in my first year of the Master's degree, am I eligible to apply for the i-PhD program?
Yes, you are eligible.
- Can I apply for i-PhD in more than one discipline?
If you meet the eligibility criteria for more than one discipline, you can apply for both the disciplines by filing their respective application forms.
- What is the fellowship structure?
Institute will provide decent fellowship to an i-PhD student during the first two years, after which they will be receive a higher fellowship at par with a regular PhD student.
- Will I be paid for my travel expenses for attending the i-PhD written test/interview?
Institute will NOT be able to reimburse for your travel tickets.
- Is it possible to leave the programme after MS?
There is no exit option after MS.
- Will I get an MS degree? If yes, how many years after joining the programme?
The MS degree will be provided together with the PhD degree, however it will carry a date same as the date of passing the comprehensive examination, which is usually conducted before registering for a PhD.
- How long does it take to complete the degree?
Usually, it takes around six years to get a PhD degree in this program.
- If I am selected in one department, am I allowed to choose research supervisor/mentor from other departments? Is it possible to pursue research with multiple supervisor/mentor?
You may be allowed to pursue research with multiple faculty and faculty from other departments, provided your primary supervisor/mentor is affiliated to your parent department.
List of applicants Shortlisted for Interview for I.PhD Programmee August 2020